Pesto Tarte Au Soleil
Introducing Pesto Tarte Au Soleil! Originating from the south of France where sunshine and pesto sauce are plentiful. This beautiful creation is a fun French appetizer made with a savory filling and puff pastry. Usually served during French cocktail hour, or apéro as it's passionately called in France. The perfect finger food for get togethers or parties. This recipe works beautifully with our Pesto EVOO or Chocolate Balsamic!
Ingredients, 2 Versions: Pesto or Chocolate
- 2 sheets puff pastry, cut into large 10” (25 cm) circles
- 3 tablespoon (45ml) store-bought pesto OR Nutella for a dessert version
- 1 egg, beaten
- sesame seeds if desired
- Pesto EVOO or Chocolate Balsamic
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C)
- Roll out pastry. Place a dinner plate down and cut out a circle. Transfer circle to a rimless baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place pesto in the middle of the circle and spread over the pastry leaving a 1 inch (2.5 cm) border, all the way around pastry circle. Drizzle Pesto EVOO around the pastry.
- Place 2nd circle on top.
- Place small juice glass in the center of the circle to create an indentation. Remove glass.
- Cut pastry into four quarters, keep the center intact as a circle.
- Then go into each quadrant and cut then in half then quarters this will create 4 slices per quadrant and create even “rays” around your tart. Place tray in the freezer for 5 mins just to firm up a bit to make it easier to twist the rays.
- Then twist each ray with a 2-turn twist, allowing the tail to lay flat. Once all the twists are made pop the tray back in the freezer for 5 mins, this will make it easier to brush the egg wash on.
- Brush beaten egg on the tart. Sprinkle center of the tart with sesame seeds. Place in the freezer for 5 mins to firm up. This will help the sun keep its shape as it hits the hot oven
- Bake tart for 20-25 mins until golden brown and puffed up. Serve on cutting board and invite guests to twist off the rays!